Whether you’re a tenant renting from a council or housing association, your home is somewhere you should feel safe and comfortable. If a property is in disrepair, it can put these basic entitlements at risk. Worse still, if your landlord fails to carry out the repairs properly or in good time, it can cause damage to your personal possessions or even injury or illness.

It can be difficult to know what the best course of action is for dealing with house repairs. We’ll help you understand your options, and we’ll work closely with you to get repairs sorted and make sure you’re well compensated for any avoidable damage you’ve suffered.

Types of housing disrepair and damage

There are many different types of damage that can lead to a housing disrepair claim:

  • Roof or pipe leaks
  • Flooding
  • Damp, including penetrating damp and, in some cases, condensation damp
  • Wet and dry rot
  • Mould
  • Structural defects
  • Defective heating and hot water
  • Damaged wiring
  • Electrical hazards
  • Cracked and loose plasterwork
  • Overflowing/blocked drains
  • Insecure windows and doors
  • Rotten window frames
  • Baths, toilets and drainage
  • Pest infestation

Disrepair can also:

  • Cause damage to your personal possessions
  • Make you ill
  • Cost you money, for example, not being able to use a room, paying for alternative accommodation, higher heating bills or suffering loss of earnings for any time you have to take off work because of the disrepair

Types of housing disrepair claims

Exactly what you can claim for depends on your circumstances, but options include:

  • Asking the court to make an order for the landlord to make specific repairs
  • Asking the court for an injunction that requires the landlord to do works
  • Claiming for damages to compensate you for any loss or injury you’ve suffered because of the disrepair

There are two types of damages that can be claimed: general damages and special damages. General damages look to cover discomfort, loss of enjoyment, distress, inconvenience, harm, pain and suffering, and physical injury. For example, a tenant may be awarded a rent reduction that covers the period of disrepair for their discomfort and inconvenience.

Special damages look to cover specific losses you’ve suffered because of the disrepair, such as money you’ve had to spend on works, any damage caused to your belongings or the cost of having to stay somewhere else.

Housing disrepair: why choose us?

Landlord and tenant law, and making a housing disrepair claim, may be complex, but all tenants have the right to live in a home that’s safe and habitable.

You don’t need to suffer in silence. Our specialist Housing Disrepair team can ensure the repairs to your property are carried out and recover any compensation you may be owed. Your interests are always at the heart of what we do. We’ll act quickly to try to achieve an early resolution, and only pursue a claim in the courts as a last resort. We’re experienced, easy to work with and good at what we do.

If you choose us, you’ll have a dedicated solicitor or team of solicitors who are committed to:

  • providing support throughout the entire process
  • delivering quality of service
  • keeping costs down

You don’t need to worry about the expenses involved in bringing a claim, we act on a ‘no win, no fee’ basis. If the claim is settled without litigation or the claim is successful in court, your landlord will cover the costs.

Contact our Housing Disrepair Lawyers, Liverpool, England and Wales 

Starting the process couldn’t be easier. Simply contact our experienced housing disrepair solicitors on  0333 3052 841 for a free consultation. If we can accept your case and you want us to help you, we’ll send you a claim pack and your solicitor will begin the process.